Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Start to my "New Beginnings"

As you may have already seen on facebook, I recently posted that I have been thinking about not purchasing anything new for an entire year.  I got a great response from people encouraging me to take on this challenge.  Someone also suggested that I blog about my experience and others agreed.  So, here it is.  New Beginnings with Old stuff, a blog about my experience of going the year without "new".

For some basic rules, this is how I intend to live out my commitment for the next year.

As of today, March 30, 2011, I, Sally will try not to buy anything new for one whole calendar year.  The purchases that I make have to be used.  So, I will probably spend more time this year at Goodwill,  at yard sales, or on used-stuff websites.  On the flip side of buying used, I hope to make more use of the things that I already have and decrease buying all together.  Excluded from the "new" list are any items that will be used up or consumed, such as gas, food, oil for the car, toilet paper, shampoo etc...  I have also decided that I may purchase a service needed, such as, car repairs, a babysitter, etc...  Although, I will try to make wise and resourceful decisions when buying anything this year, and hopefully always.

* I want to point out that I used the word try in the above paragraph, since I realize life is not always predictable.  There may come a time when emergency calls for me to purchase something new for the safety of myself, my family, or someone else.  I don't think it would be wise to refrain from such a purchase, just to save my pride.  If something does need to be purchased that is new, I will be sure and post my purchase here.  I am sure there are things that I have not thought of, but I guess that is where the challenge lies!  

I will try to post every week about my progress, what thoughts I am having, and maybe something random here and there.  Feel free to post any comments (although I will monitor the comments and will not post any inappropriate ones).  I do want to hear from you, even if you disagree with me.  

If you'd like to join me in this adventure, you are certainly more than welcome to do so.  However, if you would just like to read of my journey, here is the place where you can do just that.

Wish me luck.  Here's to New Beginnings with Old Stuff.

3 comments:

  1. Good Luck Sally !
    You certainly will be an inspiration for me, I will try to reuse as much as I can !
    Annick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Sally! I'm glad to see your blog. Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete